Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's New Dodgers Autograph Thread (and other interesting items on a slow mailday)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Outman Heritage. A perfect example of how I have graded cards in my collection. It was the price I was willing to pay for a raw one. I don't care that its graded. I won't break it out either.
Outman 72 Heritage.jpg

Oscar Robles. pretty sure this is not even a Dodger farm club, but his signatures are not all that plentiful. For an interesting tidbit, check out his SR "certified" auto from 1994 or so. Its basically a printed name. I wonder if it was even him. I have seen more like this card than the certified card. I'll never know unless I find someone who got him in person and can confirm his signature.
Robles 4-20.jpg

Angel Berroa, a brief Dodger (2008 season). This card could pass for a Dodger card at a quick glance, but it a Royals card.
Berroa 4-21.jpg

Only a dedicated team collector could share a mail day featuring a pair like Robles and Berroa and think that was a pretty good day still!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Garv /21
Garvey archives purina 12-21 mrm.jpg.

I also got this Garvey, advertised as #60/150 (A jersey match in my eyes), but its actually 68/150. It's going back as a return, as I don't need/want a dupe at the price I paid to get #60.
Garvey 60-150 mrm.jpg

This is exciting, even though its damaged. This was a free signing giveaway from Dick's sporting Goods that you had to be there in store to get. These literally disappear into thin air after the signings! How has a bunch not hit ebay after a signing? It's about 5x7 and had some sort of coupon or something attached along the bottom. Would love an intact signed AND unsigned one. Some paper loss along the right, but I don't care a whole lot. It's more of a type card filler. Autograph not affected, which is nice.
Garvey Dicks.jpg

Lofton and Tomko TTM/IPs
Lofton.jpgTomko.jpg

Still love finding deals on 90s inserts lots for Dodgers. Lot of 9 FDI from 1993 SC.
dodgers FDI Lot.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This actually came yesterday, but if I didn't admit it, nobody would have known any different! Vargas /25. I like these odd small cards for some reason.
Vargas 25.jpg

Taylor /99. I am really picking up some of these just for a relatively cheap way to get some later year Topps base cards signed. I don't even dream of getting all the Topps Dodgers signed, but as many as i can find and afford is always a fun chase.Taylor.jpg

I have several of these Daubert blankets now. Every time I win one, I wonder if they were ever counterfeited, as they all seem to be in pretty good shape. How does a piece of felt last so long?
Daubert.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Missed Saturday, so will need 2 posts to cover it all.

Garvey /23gARVEY QUAKER 22 MRM.jpg. /50. Garvey 50.jpg /75. Garvey 75 4-21.jpg

Green /8. S Green 8.jpg. Another GreenS Green Fleer Focus.jpg

Grandal /98 Grandal 98.jpg. George. K George 4-16.png

Bobby Valentine. /41. Valentine 41.jpg

A couple GU cards...
Furillo/Snider/Mathews /49Furillo 49.jpg. Wes Parker s-l1600-2.png

More to come...

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Lot of Dodger 3x5s, some real oldies in there as well. Nice lot at a really good price.
DOD 1.jpgDOD 2.jpgDOD 3.jpg
DOD 4.jpgDOD 6.jpgDOD 6.jpg
A unique Ron Fairly PC I had not seen before. Fairly F.jpgFairly B.jpg

An the winner item of the batch. 1984 Padres Newspaper Cards, neatly cut out in 2 player panels. These pairs are taller than a standard 8x10 photo, but narrower side to side, so this is a good sized set.

I thought I had this already, and I probably do have a Garvey or one very similar. However, the set I have had players positioned on the backside of others. These do not, with newspaper type print on the back of each pair. I believe these ran in the newspaper across several weeks, like the typical newspaper "bubblegumless" cards, where as the set I have was in one weekend insert and were printed on consecutive pages, meaning if you wanted to cut them out, you had to ruin some of them.

I do have a Garvey that was a "preview" from a full sized newspaper. I believe this was the set that the Garvey I have was previewing! Score!!! Frankly, I am surprised that Gwynn collectors are so cheap or unwilling to buy something like this. I am lucky to have gotten the entire lot for $27, which I think is a major score. Find another set, I dare you!
Padres Newspaper.jpg

Attachments

• DOD 5.jpg
    DOD 5.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Outstanding, sir!

Lot of Dodger 3x5s, some real oldies in there as well. Nice lot at a really good price.
View attachment 356424View attachment 356425View attachment 356426
View attachment 356427View attachment 356429View attachment 356429
A unique Ron Fairly PC I had not seen before. View attachment 356430View attachment 356431

An the winner item of the batch. 1984 Padres Newspaper Cards, neatly cut out in 2 player panels. These pairs are taller than a standard 8x10 photo, but narrower side to side, so this is a good sized set.

I thought I had this already, and I probably do have a Garvey or one very similar. However, the set I have had players positioned on the backside of others. These do not, with newspaper type print on the back of each pair. I believe these ran in the newspaper across several weeks, like the typical newspaper "bubblegumless" cards, where as the set I have was in one weekend insert and were printed on consecutive pages, meaning if you wanted to cut them out, you had to ruin some of them.

I do have a Garvey that was a "preview" from a full sized newspaper. I believe this was the set that the Garvey I have was previewing! Score!!! Frankly, I am surprised that Gwynn collectors are so cheap or unwilling to buy something like this. I am lucky to have gotten the entire lot for $27, which I think is a major score. Find another set, I dare you!
View attachment 356432

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Sutton /50
Sutton 50.jpg

The item of the week for sure and one of the reasons that I love collecting memorabilia so much is finding previously unknown gems like this. It is a somewhat simple looking San Antonio Dodgers Yearbook that I have never seen before. The quality of the publication is lower than that of a typical MLB yearbook. it just looks and feels cheaper.

That is Davey Lopes on the cover. Not unusual for the farm club to feature a player from the big club, but what was inside is what interested me the most. Similar to the Dodger team 8x10 and 5x7 photos that the Dodgers sold in photo packs and not sure how the 8x10 photos were issued (media packages perhaps?), each page has a few Dodger players shown as the yearbook was introducing the 1977 Los Angeles Dodgers to fans in Texas. Super cool and odd Steve Garvey addition to the collection.
SA Dodgers Yearbook.jpgs-l960-1.jpgs-l960.jpg

Not even the coolest part of this deal though.

Stapled onto the back of the yearbook was a hand typed stat sheet (very common with minor league programs back in that day), but also a 4 page paper scorecard. On the back of the score card are 6 San Antonio players featured on what looked like baseball cards. No images were shown of the back side in the listing, so when I got the item today, pulled out the staples and removed the item, I could see that they literally were designed like baseball cards, with brief personal information, stats and sponsor on back. I bet/know these were meant to be cut out each game and saved! The ultimate minor league set printed on a budget!!

The staple holes damaged the top 3 and unfortunately included the only name player of the batch, Ron Washington, but this is extremely cool. Now I want more and I'll probably never see another one again as long as I live!
s-l960-2.jpgIMG_4018.jpgIMG_4019.jpgIMG_4017.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This looks kind of like a bookmark. It was probably a show autograph ticket that someone got signed. I liked it, so I grabbed it. I need another Steve Garvey autograph like I need my feet amputated.
Garvey bookmark au.jpg

These were apparently provided at Dodger Stadium signings. They are somewhat reminiscent of 1956 Topps to me. Wish I could have obtained all of them, signed and unsigned. The downside of being an out of State fan.

This one is signed on back for whatever reason Cey or the recipient at the time chose.
Cey PC.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Garvey Chrome /50
Garvey 50 mrm.jpg

Frank Robinson Team issue photo - Signed. Frank's stay in LA was brief and not a ton of stuff featured him as a Dodger. Always like to add new items when I can find them. Wish he would have played for them longer.
F Robby Au.jpg

I enjoy supporting talented artists with custom cards and this is one oif the cooler items I have picked up so far. This item is large, close to 16" x 20", Its a modern homage to 1976 Hostess cards, made by Sporting Life. It's basically meat to be a POS counter display with easel back. They are top 3 customs in my opinion, at least those I have discovered. I don't mind spending money on these because they are usually much more creative than the run of the mill licensed manufactured stuff. Maybe they won't be in high demand, but then again you never know. I'll keep buying them for the time being.

The thought of Hostess issuing cards in 2024 is an interesting one. I'm sure if they did, they would be much slicker than the original box issued cards of the 70s and I probably wouldn't chase them like I did originally, but it would be cool to see a huge national set issued this way again. The problem is with the collectible market the way it is now, collectors would probably have a hard time finding the cards in stores (think Starting Line Ups of the 90s).
Garvey Sportinglife.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Garvey /50

Garvey Trib 22-50.jpg
Some mail order brochures
Dod Mail Order.jpg
A pair of NT Furillos, both /25.
Furillo dual bat 2-25.jpgFurillo single bat 19-25.jpg
Gonsolin /99 and Topps Star
Gonsolin 99.jpgGonsolin Star.png

Green Bat/aU
S Green Bat Au.jpg
Crow and Rutherford TTM/IP

Crow.pngRutherford mrm.jpg
2024 Dodgers Team Set. First time I was not able to get 2 from same seller in a while. I think I will wait a while. These are bloated due to Otanhi, but they shouldn't be. Just like last year and Outman. Tired of fighting for crap that should be at retail prices. They make a ton of these each year!
Dod 24 tm set.png

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts